Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Law and Order: Special Missing Bloggers Unit

As someone who has up and left entire cities (Hello Portland, Oregon and Bridgeport, Connecticut) without letting large groups of friends and ex co-workers know anything about my new whereabouts, I suppose I'm the last person who should worry about bloggers that disappear into thin air with no explanation. In the case of leaving places, usually I just didn't want to raise a fuss and make people feel obligated to throw a party or whatever. And since blogging at times can feel like talking into the dial tone of a phone, I can totally see a day of saying, "screw this" and just stopping at some point.

Still, much in the same way that my overactive imagination caused me to think that something terribly sinister happened to The Token Reader, I now find myself concocting 'grassy knoll' style conspiracies in regards to Swash-blogger Scaramouche.

I know there's no shortage of blogs out there that have been inactive for long periods of time. Hell, just click on the Next Blog button on the upper right and chances are you'll read some 15 year old's take on how much they hate Jessica Simpson that was written sometime in 2003. It's when a blog is extremely active and then goes dark that I begin to think that men in dark suits showed up in the middle of the night to pull the plug on their cable modem.

Another good example was Dark Window, but at least with that there was a corresponding tragic event that seemed to profoundly effect the author into a bummed out stage of ennui and lack of interest. But in both Token Reader's and now Scaramouche's cases, it seemed to be business as usual and then nothing.

Anyone want to round up a posse, check the files at Guantanamo and see what underground pit these guys are being held in?

Of course, if there is some tragic event tied with either of these cases, I completely apologize for making light of the situation.

Sincerely,
Your slightly concerned internet buddies.

6 Comments:

Blogger Generik said...

I'm also somewhat concerned -- The Token Reader seemed to have the blogging mojo down cold, and was raidly becoming a must-read when he suddenly up and quit. And now everybody's favorite fencing poster leaves us with nothing but a picture of a strange bicycle and no clues as to his whereabouts.

I admit, I've been overly lax at posting myself lately, but the abrupt disappearance of these two is just kind of spooky. Here's hoping that one or both of them sends up some smoke signals one of these days soon.

9:32 PM  
Blogger WebGuy said...

I've been wondering if the spring doldrums that hit a lot of blog traffic patterns (hey, where are all my visitors!) is impacting blogging in general. People disappearing, people posting less...

9:39 AM  
Blogger Stephen Green said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:33 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Oh, no, look at mrgumby2u's comment. It's like he just disappeared, too.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Stephen Green said...

I seems to be getting worse. I just went to Scaramouche and got just a white screen. Are we being erased?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Rook said...

scaracouche blog might be experiencing some technical difficulties with his template. I've seen this with other blogspot blogs. Seems they go to change their templates and are left with a blank page.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home